Yours unfortunately, Arshad Sami Khan

By Ahsan Mehmood.

Adnan,
I do not wish to start with the term “Dear” or “son”, because I do not wish to acknowledge that you’re either of those for me. I am a miserable soul and I do not wish to increase my torment here.

Mr. Adnan, let me introduce myself to you, because you seem to have forgotten it all. Let me refresh your arrogance – fogged memory.

I, am a Pakistan Air Force officer. I am the youngest recipient of Sitara Jurat. I am the recipient of the Medal of Honor from Iran, Turkey and Jordan. The Kings of these countries sought to honor me for my services. I am the recipient of multiple gallantry awards including the SJ and Sitara e Imtiaz, because I fought for my country in the 1965 war, valiantly so. I served three presidents as Aide de camp in my service, and I was taken up into foreign services after my retirement from the Air force to represent my beloved land across the world. I made it to the 22nd grade, upto the post of Commissioner General, the first, I might add.

Let me indulge deeper into flashback. When you were young and had a taste for music, I bought you your first Piano. You learnt to play and I was very proud of you. I arranged for you to travel across the country to different PAF bases in military aircrafts, requesting their base commanders to let you perform. They took you in with open arms, because of what your father meant to them. That, is where you started your music career from, performing in military bases, travelling on the expense of the PAF, who applauded you for your talents and provided you with opportunities.

Coming back to the 1965 war that made your father who he was. The enemy was upon us. We were a few skilled men, and we had the weight of our country’s entire population on our young shoulders. We gave it everything we had and we succeeded. Let me be clear; that was my country’s debt on me. I was chosen for this honor, I owed my land more than my singular life.

The enemy that I spoke of, Adnan, was the last five letters on your current address. It was the loathsome colors on the flag you hold. It was the anthem that you now believe in. It was the sound of oppression, the conflict of ideology and the arch nemesis of my beloved motherland.

Soldiers, Adnan, think differently than you liberated and self centered men. For us, it is the sound of our anthem that brings us peace, the sight of our flag that brings us tranquility and the scent of our earth, that fuels our will to live. I cannot describe in any sufficient words how much my country means to me.

The land that you proudly proclaim to be your home, is the land your unfortunate father almost died fighting against. The enmity between your home and mine is so deep rooted and so traumatizing, it is unimaginably treacherous to have even thought about creating a soft corner for the murderer of hundreds and thousands of our brothers, sisters, parents and children. And you, in pursuit of worldly gains (atleast that’s what your incentive was) stepped on your father’s name and repute to get to the other side. My blood is on the border that you crossed, Adnan. My friends in heaven heard you say Jai Hind. I thanked God in person that He did not keep me alive to witness that moment. That he didn’t make me stay long enough to exclaim your love for the armed forces that have killed my fellow soldiers.

The world remembers me in honorable mentions. But I think I brought myself the worst disgrace that the universe has to offer. I brought you into this world, and whatever I may proclaim, you will always be a cancerous part of me. Deteriorating my honor, you will always be my deepest regret.

Your miserable father,

Sqn Ldr Arshad Sami
SJ, SI(M)

The writer is a business student at Institute of Business Management, hailing from Karachi.

61 thoughts on “Yours unfortunately, Arshad Sami Khan

• October 3, 2016 at 3:24 pm

You have nailed it my friend.

• October 10, 2016 at 11:17 am

Adnan’s father and his family hail from Afghanistan and he proudly confrims that he is an Afghan and belong to Herat province of Afghanistan – he was never a pakistani and will never be a Pakistani, stop fooling yourself and start educating your people…

• October 3, 2016 at 5:02 pm

I’m sorry but putting words in a dead man’s mouth is absolutely wrong. How can you even publish such a thing. Ashamed!

• October 3, 2016 at 5:40 pm

I guess the writer has said what all Pakistanis would have said to “that” guy, including me. However, I do not believe that one should write a letter on behalf of a dead man and specially a dead father.

• October 3, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Is it actually written by late Arshad Sami Khan?

• October 3, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Is this a trick question or are you actually that thick?

• October 4, 2016 at 12:54 am

Wowww your intellect

• October 4, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Actually when you write stuff like this.. it is meant to be by make believe people.. here the guy is writing on behalf of a dead person.. its disrespectful and completely idiotic.. you can’t pretend to know what Adnan’s father would think.. i know the need for click bait.. but this is stupid

• October 4, 2016 at 5:49 am

No. He isn’t alive…

• October 4, 2016 at 10:29 am

He died in 2012.

• October 3, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Could have been more constructive at the end. I didn’t know this much about Arshad Sami Khan.
    Great write up.

• October 3, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Dear writer Adnan is Indian citizen, and he loves his adopted country is it wrong. If lata acquires Pakistani citizenship do you want her to be loyal to Pakistan or India?

• October 4, 2016 at 5:50 am

Dont want her to be public about politics.

• October 3, 2016 at 7:18 pm

I think what Adnan Sami Khan wrote was stupid and self serving. I don’t agree with him at all.
    But I think what you have written is equally wrong.
    Had you just written the facts about his father and his early childhood, that would have been an interesting article. But you actually wrote a letter from Adnan Sami’s dead father to him, full of vitriol. This, I believe, was crossing the line. There are things that are just below the belt – this is one of them.

• October 3, 2016 at 7:33 pm

This script is bogus

• October 3, 2016 at 7:49 pm

A shameful, shameful piece of writing. Whatever your feelings about Adnan Sami’s comments regarding the situation – what gave you the right to use his fathers name to write out your hatred towards him? Who do you think you are..appropriating his father’s name? Who gave you the right to write such hateful words and put them in the mouth of a deceased father… the relationship between a parent and child is a special one that transcends things such as jingoism, nationalistic sentiments and whatever ego issues that caused you to call Adnan Sami his father’s ‘deepest’ regret.

Just imagine for a second how you would feel if after your father died someone published a letter from his name, calling you names, telling you he now hates you for whatever reason and dramatizing your opinions.

Sadly when Indians point their fingers and say that their neighbors are hysterical, ignorant, insensitive ‘warmongers’ this type of writing is what they whip out as evidence.

• October 4, 2016 at 9:52 am

Very very well said sir! This writer should get a Bull’s shit award

• October 4, 2016 at 10:28 am

Well said. A pathetic piece of writing, indeed.

• October 6, 2016 at 3:25 am

This is definitely a pathetic piece of writing. Shameful to say the least.

• October 4, 2016 at 2:36 pm

That’s what exactly i was thinkin, he or she doesn’t have any rights to speak from his fathers side or what he might have felt even if he was alive, let apart he is no more.

• October 4, 2016 at 4:33 pm

Well said
      There are boundaries one should not cross even while writing fiction. And this claims not to be fiction … although it truly is.
      The right to use the late Mr arshad ‘s name are with his family and no one else. It should stay that way.

No matter what adnan did … it’s response should have been in the same spirit and on same grounds.

• October 4, 2016 at 5:06 pm

My thoughts exactly. I think it’s a pretty cheap shot and frankly, really insensitive to write a pretend letter like this. It is one thing to merely state facts but to write lines like these, no wonder there is no future in our journalism anymore. It’s become pure drama.

• October 5, 2016 at 1:24 am

What is the difference between you and the writter ?

• October 5, 2016 at 1:49 am

Few things are way above your personal relations, your friendships and your family. And, it’s is love your own country. I might accept a personal disgrace but an insult and bad name to my motherland is unacceptable. Adnan Sami has disgraced the country who gave him birth and name. Change of nationality did not give the right to utter non sense. Adnan deserves thrash from all Pakistanis. I agree with the writer.

• October 5, 2016 at 10:26 pm

Absolutely my thoughts. I think adnan Sami should sue the student for using his father’s name and not being clear about who wrote this piece of garbage. Writing is freedom of expression but not on behalf of someone’s father who has died.
      This student needs to be taught a lesson! This is someone’s personal integrity, he is attacking.
      It’s ok you feel that towards adnan Sami khan but you cannot use his father’s name to convey the thoughts.
      Adnan Sami is still a paki talent and we are proud of him!

• October 3, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Dear Writer,
    You have written great. You have nailed it (Y)

• October 3, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Well, this is just a wishful thinking from an emotional student. There are numerous other facts that author has skipped namely:
    1. Arshad Sami Khan passed away in 2009 in Mumbai India (the enemy country) after being treated for his cancer.
    2. He wrote a book about his experience as an Aide-de-camp (ADC) entitled “Three presidents and an Aide” which no publisher in Pakistan was willing to publish. It was therefore published and released in India, launched by former Indian Prime Minister I.K. Gujral to rave reviews and sales.
    (Source: Wikipedia)

• October 4, 2016 at 5:29 am

1. Khan was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer in 1989. Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto had him flown to London where he was operated at Cromwell Hospital. However, within 3 months of the operation thereafter, he resumed working in the Foreign Office continuing his Ambassadorial Assignments around the world, whilst battling cancer for 20 years. He died on 22 June 2009 at ‘Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani’ Hospital in Mumbai while on duty. His burial ceremony took place in Islamabad with profound Military Honors including a 21-Gun Salute.

2. it was a controversial book of course the politicians would have done anything to stop its publication in their country. it doesn’t mean he was a traitor.

• October 5, 2016 at 1:51 am

I agree with you. So it gave Adnan Sami the right to abuse his motherland??

• October 3, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Writing from the pov of his late father is not so good of the writer.Furthermore, it’s highly misleading. If he wanted to write about Adnan Sami’s father then he should have written as a third person instead. What the father would have felt for his son if he were alive, no one knows. For the author to assume that he knows how the father would have felt is arrogant.

• October 4, 2016 at 2:14 am

What kind a broken man will call colours loathsome? Be it on any flag. They are colours symbolizing a lot more, naturally everywhere….white, green and orange. Pathetic really.

• October 4, 2016 at 2:39 am

I loved how well it was written and then I realized Adnan Sami Khan’s father wasn’t even alive to choose between thr country he served and his own flesh and blood. The writer had NO RIGHT putting words in a dead man’s mouth. How disrespectful of a father and specially a man who served our country!

• October 4, 2016 at 3:28 am

As a pakistani, I found it tasteless…. should have done more homework to find out why and how adnan sami reached this stage.

• October 5, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Your comment is so pathetic it makes me sick, o high mighty lord of the realm of stupiditia, dollars spoke to him and he forsake his mother land, his people for them, the most despicable form of human bieng, one who sells his honour for a few shackles, no less than a prostitute, oops even prostitutes stick to thier brothel, got my jist, dont overthink if u have an iq of 16 year old girl in heat…

• October 4, 2016 at 3:31 am

Are these actual words of Adnan sami’s father? I don’t think so! Who are you to write this on behalf of a deceased father for his son? If you have to take it out, do it with your name, don’t turn it into a letter from a father! Extremely irresponsible behavior you showed here!

• October 4, 2016 at 6:41 am

I hope the writer of this article now receives the attention he’s actually looking for. This letter is honestly disgusting to read, how can someone actually go ahead and write this and who are the idiots who are publishing this on facebook? I don’t get these stupid open letters being passed around these days, his relationship with his dad is something personal, his father is dead and we are going around sharing this hypothetical letter written by an idiot!

• October 4, 2016 at 7:18 am

باپ بیٹے کی کہانی، ”تمغہ جرات“ سے ”تمغہ بے غیرت“ تک
    1965ء کی پاک-بھارت جنگ وطن عزیز کے لیے کئی لحاظ سے ایک بہت کڑا وقت تھا لیکن فوج اور عوام کے اتحاد نے اس جارحیت کو بری طرح ناکام بنایا۔ پاکستان نے جنگ ستمبر میں بھارت کو فضائی میدان میں نقصان پہنچایا، وہ پاک فضائیہ کا بہت بڑا کارنامہ تھا۔ اس جنگ کا ایک شاندار واقعہ بھارت کے پٹھان کوٹ ہوائی اڈے پر حملہ تھا کہ جس میں پاکستانی پائلٹوں نے بھارتی طیاروں کے اڑنے سے پہلے ہی جالیا اور 10 طیارے تباہ کیا۔ اسکواڈرن لیڈر سجاد حیدر کی قیادت میں ہونے والے حملے میں تمام پائلٹوں کو ‘ستارۂ جرات’ کا اعزاز دیا گیا جن میں سے ایک ارشد سمیع تھے۔ پاک فضائیہ کے ایک ہونہار پائلٹ کہ جنہوں نے اس مشن سے پہلے جو پاکستان میں سفارت کار بھی بنے اور تین صدور کے عسکری مشیر بھی۔ انہوں نے وزارت امور خارجہ میں بھی خدمات انجام دیں اور 14 ممالک میں پاکستان کے سفیر رہے۔
    ارشد سمیع افغانستان کے چار صوبوں ہرات، کابل، جلال آباد اور بلخ کے گورنر محفوظ جان کے صاحبزادے تھے جنہیں ”بچہ سقہ“ کے انقلاب میں قتل کردیا گیا تھا جس پر یہ خاندان ہجرت کرکے پشاور آ گیا۔ ارشد نے ابتدا ہی میں خاندانی روایات کو اپناتے ہوئے فوج میں جانے کا فیصلہ کیا اور پھر کافی آگے گئے۔ سفارت کاری کے میدان میں کئی ممالک میں خدمات انجام دینے کے بعد ارشد متعدد پاکستانی صدور اور وزرائے اعظم کے چیف آف پروٹول رہے۔ یہاں تک کہ 2009ء میں وفات پائی۔ انہیں پورے فوجی اعزاز کے ساتھ اسلام آباد میں دفنایا گیا اور 21 توپوں کی سلامی بھی دی گئی۔ پاکستان نے 2012ء میں بعد از وفات انہیں ‘ستارۂ امتیاز’ بھی ددیا.
    اس پس منظر رکھنے والے ارشد سمیع کے دو بیٹے تھے، عدنان اور جنید۔ جی ہاں! وہی جسے اب دنیا عدنان سمیع خان کے نام سے جانتی ہے اور وہ گلوکاری میں پاکستان سے نام حاصل کرنے اور بنانے کے بعد اب بھارت کی گود میں بیٹھا ہے۔ جس ملک کے خلاف باپ ہمیشہ حالت جنگ میں رہا، اسی کی اولاد سالوں تک منتیں ترلے کرنے کے بعد بالآخر بھارت کی شہریت حاصل کرنے میں کامیاب ہوئی تو اسی ٹوئٹر پر عدنان سمیع نے نریندر مودی کا شکریہ ادا کیا۔ جس پر کسی نے کیا خوب جواب دیا کہ ”تمہیں جے ہند کا نعرہ لگانے کی ضرورت نہیں، اپنے ملک کے نہ بن سکے، ہمارے کیا بنوگے؟“
    آج عدنان سمیع صاحب بھارت کے مبینہ ”سرجیکل اسٹرائیک“ پر بھی ”خوش“ دکھائی دیتے ہیں اور لکھتے ہیں کہ ”بھارت کے وزیر اعظم اور ہماری بہادر افواج کو دہشت گردی کے خلاف کامیاب اور پختہ اسٹریٹجک حملے پر بہت مبارکباد!“۔ ویسے تو ”غیرت ہے بڑی چیز جہان تگ و دو میں“، لیکن کم از کم باپ کے نام ہی لاج ہی رکھ لیتا۔

• October 11, 2016 at 1:59 pm

mitti pao,jo shakhs zindigi k 30,35 saal mulk mein reh kar wahan ka na howa to kahi ka bhi ho.loag America n Canada ki bhi nationality laitay hainfarq yeh hay k unhain wahan ki wafadaari sabit karnay k liay,Pakistan ko bura bhala nahi kehna parhta.yeh iss becharay ki majboori hay.struggle for existence.khas kam,jahan paak

• October 4, 2016 at 7:20 am

Ahsan Janu tu cha gya ha…. Falcon United is proud of you boy….

Team Falcon United

• October 4, 2016 at 7:21 am

this is purely an emotional write-up. Adnan Sami Khan has every right in the world to decide India or anywhere else in the world to call home – period.

as someone else also pointed out, how can we know what his father would’ve thought of him had he still been alive ? the writer seems to have gone through Arshad Sami’s drawers and found a letter written before 2009 addressed to Adnan Sami Khan in 2016 !

i respect patriotism, love for the country, flag, anthem and all – but to hide behind emotions and play with words to slander and humiliate someone is nothing but emotional at best.

• October 4, 2016 at 7:46 am

Agreed if he not loyel to his country how could he loyel to india. And regarding lata getting pak citizen ship, if it happen we pakistani never forced lata to say bad words against india to prove his patriotism unlike india where every muslim has to prove every day that they are loyel india.

• October 4, 2016 at 9:05 am

Man this was a low blow. Using a dead relative to vent out your anger against Adnan Sami is a pretty shitty thing to do..

• October 4, 2016 at 10:59 am

I feel so sorry for the person who think its intellectual enough to use a dead person’s name and write all this.

• October 4, 2016 at 11:00 am

I can’t even give a bad review for this article now? Wow so petty.

• October 4, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Brilliant..That should be an eye opener for Adnan sami Khan. .I strongly believe his father would have said the same if he would have been alive..

• October 4, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Mr Ahsan Mehmood should have given this khutba of patriotism to Arshad Sami Khan when he was still alive and undergoing cancer treatment in a Mumbai hospital in Dushman Mulk and died in Adnan’s own home in 2009.

• October 4, 2016 at 6:23 pm

آپکو کوئی حق نہی پہنچتا کہ آپ ایک فوت شدہ شخص کے مصنوعی تاثرات کو اس طریقہ سے ابھاریں. اگر آپ میں اتنے گٹس ہوتے تو یقینن آپ خود اپنے الفاظ کو اپنے طور پر بیان کرتے یوں بانجھ پن کے شکار فرد کی طرح مصنوعی ممیکری نہ کرتے.

• October 4, 2016 at 7:49 pm

So some of you wise guys think the author did a horrendous job by bringing his late father into the tricky comments?! Hmmm… so according to some confused souls here… reminding one of where he was brought up, how he was brought up and against the country Pakistan has the most bloodiest histories is unacceptable, but, a former popular Pakistani artist who was given the highest levels of fame, respect and acknowledgement, appreciating an Indian so-called strike on Pakistani soil (NOT PoK!) is not appropriate? Great! Basically you’ve buried everything starting from Patriotism to self conscious all at once. How can you even think of defending Sami after this (unless you are one of his close aides just trying to brush the bad image he has endeavored upon himself).

You have no consideration that his late father gave the best years of his life protecting and promoting Pakistan, presented his life every time he flew for Pakistan. What it meant to him, the value of fighting for Pakistan against the country Adnan Sami has now accepted as his motherland. You just missed that part right?
    Sami grew up on the notion and core base of patriotism present at its best. He should have been the last person to come out as a traitor. And, don’t get me wrong, there are various types of traitors these days. You don’t have to be a 007 double agent sharing nuclear secrets with another country to be classified as a traitor. Adnan Sami Khan is a perfect example of a modern day’s traitor, at its best. Born, bred and nurtured on Pakistani soil with a hell of a late patriot father we all are proud of. Stepped into his music career helped by the traits that were enjoyed due to his father’s position and the perks offered by Pakistan to such a patriot. Became successful walking through the steps his father paved for him, an opportunity which 99% of artists dream of! Then suddenly rejects and disregards all that his father built including respect, dignity and conscious. He kicks out his father’s legacy and respect for his country, for a passport his father would have chosen to die but never accept. It would have been a family riot if he was alive, a son would have been shot dead by an ashamed and lost father, saddened by the regret of being a father.
    How can you guys go soft on this kind of a modern day traitor who is lobbying against Pakistan only to get to a few dinner tables hosted by some important people in India! Adnan Sami has basically chosen the most cheapest and dirtiest tactics of all: By directly congratulating an enemy’s army for illegally entering his ex- motherland?! You’re either on drugs or one of his close aides. No other sensible explanation for these treacherous comments. Its sad but a true fact, his father’s soul would be dying every day, again and again, for his son has truly embarrassed him by these shameful comments. I pity his soul, who would be praying his son’s demise, and regretting that he is and will always be remembered as Adnan Sami’s father.

• October 4, 2016 at 8:11 pm

No Publisher was interested to publish his book in Pakistan!!….and he chose India!!….and i rest my case.

• October 5, 2016 at 2:26 am

I read article as well as most of the comments. My personal view is that it is a useless effort. Because neither Adnan will read this story, nor he will be impressed, if read. Its not matter of only Adnan and what he said has no value. He is living in India and he will do and say, what ever is benificial for him and his family……….,,. Think about those, who are Pakisrani, living in Pakistan or abroad, Pakistan is feeding and awarding them. Those are not men or women of ordinary status. They are Retired or serving Civil servent, retired genrals or judges, journalists, so called intellectuals etc etc. What they are doing. Start from Doplomates. Are they doing their duty HONESTLY ? If they claim themselves loyal to Pakistan, then why Pakistan is known as Terrorist state, despite Victim of terrorisim ? Look upon Pakistan Pvt TV channals, their owner,s, Anchor,s , management,s, guest,s and staff,s views and thoughts about Pakistan. It seems that they are Indian, Americans, Afghan or from any enemy country of Pakistan. Because they use filthy language against Pakistan shamelessly. Look upon the corrupt, inefficient, ignorant and rude administration, people,s representatives, Judiciary and civil servents, who are living a luxerious life upon the texes of Poor peoples of Pakistan are better than ADNAN SAMI ?

• Pingback: The Open Letter By Adnan Sami’s Late Father Says Everything Pakistanis Are Feeling - PKKH.tv

• October 5, 2016 at 8:15 pm

It is utterly disappointing that national boundaries still divide us in this modern age.

It is both sad and a notion from the prehistoric times.

Underneath the skin, we are literally all the SAME! Religion, nationalism, political ideologies, skin color.

• October 6, 2016 at 4:47 pm

this is a wonderful piece of writing and there is no problem if the writer has used the angle of his deceased father, the one who died while performing his duties for his country. people losing their shit over writer’s using his deceased father’s self writing his damned son should get a life (in fact get RIP). the literature around the world is full the these kind of writings, even whole books. those who think his father wouldn’t have been this angry, i should say, his father would kill him if he had a vague idea that his son would get his enemy’s nationality and will bark on his motherland.

• October 6, 2016 at 10:13 pm

I am a Pakistani and this is perhaps the greatest piece of shit I have ever come across. Open your heads Pakistanis. It would do you some good.

• October 26, 2016 at 9:45 am

خط کو ادبی تناظر میں دیکھا جانا چاہیے ادب میں نثر کی صنف کو خط کی صورت میں تحریر کر کے قلم کار نے مخاطب کو آئنہ دکھایا ہے جس کا وہ رکھتا ہے ، ادب ناممکنات اور ابہام پر بھی مبنی ہوتا ہے جو قاری کو متوجہ کرنے کے لیے کوئی بھی حرف کار اپنی تحریر میں شامل کر سکتا ہے ۔۔ لیکن قاری کا سخن فہم ہونا ضروری ہے یا کم از کم سخن شناس ۔ ورنہ فیض کبھی آواز کے سائے اور ہونٹوں کے سراب ، والی ترجیحات کا استعمال نہیں کرتے اگر ان کو معلوم ہوتا کہ پڑھنے والوں میں کوئی بھی سخن فہم نہیں ہے ، اس خط کو ایک محب وطن عام پاکستانی کا نمائندہ خط تصور کیا جانا چاہیے جس کا مقصد ۔۔۔ عدنان کی واپسی ۔۔۔ نہیں بلکہ ایسی اقدار کی حوصلہ شکنی ہے جو احسان فراموشی کو جنم دیتی ہیں ، اگر کسی کو اعتراض کسی مردہ شخص کے نام سے خط لکھنے پر ہے تو اسے پہلے ادب کے بحرِ بیکراں سے چند بوندیں پی کر اپنی تشنگی مٹا لینی چاہیے تاکہ اس کی آنکھیں کتھارسس کے مرحلے میں کسی اور زاویے سے داخل ہوں ۔۔ کیونکہ آج بھی مختلف جگہوں پر لوگوں کو کہتے سُنا ہے کہ ۔۔۔۔ قائد اعظم کی روح کانپ گئی ہوگی ۔۔۔۔۔۔۔ بس اب لگائیے اس پر قدغن ۔۔ کوئی کون ہوتا ہے قائد کی روح کے بارے میں بولنے والا

• Pingback: Adnan Sami Strikes Again: Remember My Letter, Skeptics? | theweeklypakistan.com